All posts by Bruce Becker

Teen arrested with loaded gun at Canton high school

Police arrested a 15-year-old boy with a loaded and stolen handgun at McKinley High School on Wednesday, according to Canton police.

The boy, who lives in the 1900 block of Eighth Street SE, had the .380-caliber Ruger LCP handgun at the school at 2323 17th St. NW at 7:40 a.m. Wednesday, the reports show. Police reports listed the gun as stolen and worth about $300.

The boy was booked into the Multi-County Juvenile Attention Center on charges of having a weapon on school property, carrying a concealed weapon and receiving stolen property.

Read More

Four more rape reports on or near Ohio University campus

Ohio University Police and Athens Police confirmed on Monday that since last week, four more rapes have been reported involving OU students on or near the city campus. The new reports bring the total number of rape investigations to six, just since students moved-in at the campus on August 23rd.

A further report of sexual imposition involving a student has also been made recently.

Read More

Affidavit: 12-year-old points gun at teacher, pulls trigger

ELDRIDGE, Iowa — Court documents say a 12-year-old Iowa boy pointed a gun at his teacher's face and pulled the trigger, but the safety was on.

The Courier reports that court documents say the boy entered a North Scott Junior High classroom on Aug. 31 with a .22-caliber handgun and ordered everyone to the floor before he tried to shoot the teacher. Investigators say when the loaded gun failed to fire, the teacher wrestled it away from him.

The boy is charged with attempted murder, having a weapon on school grounds and assault while displaying a dangerous weapon. He remains in the Scott County Juvenile Detention Center.

The Associated Press doesn't generally name juveniles charged with crimes.

Source

Ex-teacher gets 15 years in prison for raping student

SARATOGA SPRINGS - A former Saratoga Springs fifth-grade teacher was sentenced Wednesday to 15 years in prison for raping a student, Saratoga County prosecutors said.

At the sentencing, the male victim addressed Elizabeth Barthelmas in Saratoga County Court directly to tell her that he is a survivor and is the strongest he has ever been, District Attorney Karen A. Heggen said in a news release.

Read More

Virginia high school student shaken after brutal attack by bullies caught on camera goes viral

 - A heartbreaking case of bullying is made even worse after a brutal attack Monday morning at a Spotsylvania County school was caught on camera. And much to that student's horror, that disturbing video is now viral on social media.

Just days into the new school year, a video taken at Massaponax High School shows a student being viciously assaulted as other students were heard taunting and laughing at the student.

FOX 5’s Cori Coffin spoke exclusively with the victim, who didn’t wait to be named for fear of retribution.

Read More

9-year-old kills himself after being bullied at school, mother says

DENVER - A Colorado boy took his own life during the first week of school, and his mom said bullying is to blame. The 9-year-old committed suicide just days after telling classmates he was gay.

"He was my sunshine because he was my only son," she said.

Myles started fourth grade at Joe Shoemaker School on Aug. 20. Weeks before, he worked up the courage to tell his mother that he was gay.

"And he looked so scared when he told me. He was, like, 'Mom, I'm gay.' And I thought he was playing, so I looked back because I was driving, and he was all curled up, so scared. And I said, 'I still love you,'" Pierce said. "He went to school and said he was gonna tell people he's gay because he's proud of himself."

On Aug. 23, Pierce found her son dead in their Denver home. She said he killed himself after being bullied.

"Four days is all it took at school. I could just imagine what they said to him. My son told my oldest daughter the kids at school told him to kill himself. I'm just sad he didn't come to me," Pierce said.

A letter was sent from Denver public schools to families saying they're providing extra social workers and their crisis team for students. In a statement, the district said it will continue to offer support to the family.

"I'm so upset that he thought that was his option," Pierce said.

Through the devastation, Pierce wants to spread awareness about the effects of bullying.

"We should have accountability for bullying. I think the child should, because the child knows it's wrong. The child wouldn't want someone to do it to them. I think the parent should be held (accountable) because obviously, the parents are either teaching them to be like that, or they're treating them like that," she said.

3 teens charged in fire that destroyed Matthew Jago School #28 handicap-accessible ‘Boundless’ playground

WOODBRIDGE - Three juveniles, two 14-year-olds and a 15-year-old, have been arrested and charged with setting the fire last week that partially destroyed the playground for special needs students at Matthew Jago School #28 in the Sewaren section.

Mayor John E. McCormac and Police Director Robert Hubner said the arrests were made Friday shortly after officials toured the site where fire caused more than $100,000 in damage to playground equipment and park facilities.

The teen boys were charged with aggravated arson and malicious mischief, officials said.

"I am gratified that the Woodbridge Police Department was able to make arrests within hours of the fire. These arrests send a strong message to anyone who thinks that setting a fire and destroying thousands of dollars of playground equipment is simply vandalism,” McCormac said. "I would like to thank neighborhood residents — and the media — for their assistance and cooperation in helping the Woodbridge Police Department and the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office conduct a thorough and effective investigation."

McCormac said the arrests were made within 48 hours of the fire.

EARLIER: Woodbridge looks to replace school playground destroyed by fire

EARLIER: Woodbridge Matthew Jago School #28 playground destroyed by suspected arson

Hubner said the Woodbridge Police Department's Detective Bureau and uniformed police officers conducted an extensive investigation, speaking with neighbors and residents of the Sewaren neighborhood. Information developed that led detectives to the suspects, who were allegedly spotted at the playground in the late afternoon of Aug. 1.

About 5:45 p.m. that day, the fire was reported to the Woodbridge Township Police Department 911 Dispatch Operations Center and the Port Reading Fire Department after a neighborhood resident spotted the flames.

The Port Reading Fire Department responded to the scene within minutes of the report and found a large section of playground equipment fully engulfed in flames. The fire was deemed under control by 6:30 p.m., officials said.

Read More

Donate

Student commits suicide at McKinney North High School

McKinney North High School was briefly placed on lockdown Friday morning after a student killed himself with a gun on campus.

McKinney ISD says the student was a tenth-grade boy. Police say he was found in an empty classroom by a teacher and a student. He was rushed to the hospital with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound and later died.

The school was immediately placed on lockdown following reports of a gunshot.

Students were moved to Boyd High School where their parents picked them up. Those who drove to school were allowed to drive home after being checked out, the school district said.

There were tears and hugs as students were released to their parents hours after the incident. Students described the terrifying moments.

“People didn't know what was going on,” said student Reece Cho. “I started crying. I was worried about my friends and my sister.”

“I'd just come from lunch walking up to my classroom. As soon as I got in, my teacher slammed the door, yelling at us to get to the back of the classroom, turned off the lights,” recalled student Aubrey Ferris. “We just sat there for an hour and 15 minutes. She told us not to get on our phones because it was illuminating our faces. We just sat there."

Read More

A student is in custody after Noblesville West Middle School shooting that injured another student and teacher

A male student shot and injured a teacher and another student at Noblesville West Middle School on Friday morning, police said.

News outlets were reporting that a seventh-grade science teacher intervened to stop the shooter, but authorities said they could not confirm that on Friday afternoon.

Police did not release the names of the two victims Friday and did not provide information on their conditions. The adult victim was taken to Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital, and the teen victim was taken to Riley Hospital for Children, both in Indianapolis. Their families have been notified, police said.

The Noblesville Police Department has a full-time school resource officer assigned to the school who responded to the incident, Jowitt said. Local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies also responded to the shooting.

“We do know that the situation resolved extremely quickly,” Jowitt said. “We don’t know what happened in the classroom, so I can’t make any kinds of comments about what [the resource officer’s] involvement was.”

Read More

Donate

Fourth former Vanderbilt player gets probation in rape

A former Vanderbilt football player who testified against three of his former teammates in a campus rape case was sentenced Monday to 10 years' probation as part of a plea deal.

Jaborian "Tip" McKenzie is the only one of the four players charged in the 2013 dormitory room rape of an unconscious student who did not get sentenced to prison. Cory Batey and Brandon Banks were both sentenced to serve 15 years. Brandon Vandenburg, who was called the instigator of the attack, was sentenced to 17 years in prison.

McKenzie, 23, had been charged with five counts of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery. His testimony against the other players helped secure guilty verdicts in their trials. He admitted to taking one photo of the woman during the rape but testified that he did not touch her. Photos and video recorded of the rape also helped secure multiple convictions in a case that horrified many on and off campus.

Read More

Donate